Non-Western Blog

Non-Western Blog   

The Edo Period (1603-1867) was the final era of the traditional Japanese Government. Tokugawa Ieyasu used shoguns for over 250 to establish peace in Japan. This also helped a new merchant class to form and urbanization to flourish. 


 This woodblock print is Under the Wave of Kanagawa by  Katsushika Hokusai. This woodblock print shows Mount Fuji as the mountain shown behind the waves. I really liked the different shades of blue that were used in the waves to give the woodblock print dimension. This woodblock print also shows a terrible scene as we see boats that are about to get crushed by the wave. Even with the terrible scene that is shown in this woodblock print I still think that this is beautiful. 

This painting is Rough Waves by Ogata Kōrin. Many artist have tried to paint these waves and capture the unique image that swelling waves have. Kōrin has one of the best paintings of swelling waves. He was able to capture the tips of the waves that look like foam fingers, and was able to paint the unique holes that the waves have. I really like this painting because I have never seen waves that looked like this before. I also never knew that waves could have holes in them. I would hang this painting in my house. 



This painting is One Hundred Boys by Kano Nuidonosuke Einō" and "Sansei." Sansei is Kano's father. There family were one of the most important painters because they painted artwork for the military and imperial. In Japan paintings are painted left to right. I like this painting because it shows what people in Japan do every day. I really like to look at paintings that give me a glimpse into what happens in other parts of the world. I really like how Elino put a lot of detail into this painting so that it looks like it did in real life. 

References


https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/75372

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/44918

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/45434







Comments

  1. I love the pictures of the waves. They really make me think of Japan whenever I see them. I love that they have painting that are done more than section of paper, then put together as one piece. Its like they make them look like a tri-fold blind.Great pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Under The Wave is famous for a good reason. The compositional shapes are very strong, and the colors draw the eye in. The cel-like shading works with the medium and adds enough depth to make it pop.
    Rough Waves is a little harder for me to parse. I can't tell quite what angle is being depicted, but I can tell that it is waves. The limited color palette doesn't hold it back and the texturing lines along with the blended shading give it the push it needs to seem complete.
    Something I noticed in One Hundred Boys is that no one has a shadow. It's another example of negative space becoming an element by itself. It's clouds, bushes, leaves, and floor, yet nothing looks like it doesn't belong. The variety of poses and the detail in each figure paint a lively picture. You can almost hear the laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the paintings you chose. The painting of the waves takes me right back to Lake Michigan when the storms were rolling in. I love that it is painted on wood. I also like the little fact that they paint from left to right. I am not overly familiar with Japanese art but would like to see more after seeing these three paintings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Impact of WWII on the Mid Modern Era

Introduction